If you attended the Centegra Weigh Less, Live More Expo today, hopefully you got to see our fun cooking demo by Registered Dietitian Meg Burnham and try some tasty samples! Below are the recipes prepared in today’s demonstration. If you’d like to watch the demonstration, fill out the form below and we’ll email you the video in the next week.
Happy, Healthy cooking!
Italian-Style Spaghetti Squash
- ½ medium squash (about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 14.5 oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
Remove seeds from squash. Place squash, cut side down, in a microwave safe baking dish. Add water. Cover & microwave on 100% power (high) for 10-14 minutes or until pulp can just be pierced with a fork; give dish a half turn twice during cooking. Drain.
Using pot holder, hold squash in one hand and with a fork shred squash pulp into strands, letting them fall into the baking dish. Add drained tomatoes, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information: ½ cup per serving (6 servings). Per serving: 42 calories; 1 gm protein; 9 gm carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 112 mg sodium; 1 gm total fat; 0 gm saturated
Mediterranean Black Bean Salad
- 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp bottled minced garlic
- ¼ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
In a medium bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, and onion. Set aside.
In a small jar with tight fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients except parsley. Cover and shake until ingredients are well combined. Pour over bean mixture, stirring to coat. Stir in parsley, cover, and chill for 2 to 24 hours. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Information: ¾ cup per serving (4 servings). Per serving: 135 calories; 7 gm protein; 24 gm carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 97 mg sodium; 2 gm total fat; 0 gm saturated