15 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
Juice of one fresh lemon
1/4 cup tahini
Half clove of garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2-3 Tbsp water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then turn on and process for 30 seconds.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, cumin and the salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice mixture. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process another 30 seconds.
- Add half the chickpeas to the food processor then process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.
- Most likely hummus will be too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea. To fix this, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 2-3 tbsp of water until the consistency is perfect.
- Scrape the hummus into a bowl then drizzle about 1 Tbsp of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
Yield: 8 servings, 3 tbsp each serving
Nutrition information: 115 calories; 8 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat); 9 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams protein, 205 mg sodium; 3 g fiber.