Not only is quinoa gluten free, it is also a complete protein. Swap out your rice for a serving of quinoa!
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup mild or medium picante sauce
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked & cooled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine water, picante sauce, quinoa, cumin, salt, & pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover & cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 min.
Remove from heat & let stand 5 min. Uncover & toss with fork. Transfer to a large bowl & let cool slightly.
Add remaining ingredients to quinoa, tossing well. Serve slightly warm or let cool to room temperature.
Alternatively, cover & refrigerate for up to 2 days and serve chilled (add avocado just before ready to serve).
Nutrition: (8 servings): 238 calories; 6.4 gm fat; 0.7 gm saturated fat; 255 mg sodium; 8 gm fiber; 9 gm protein; 19% Vitamin A; 17% Vitamin C; 19% Calcium