Enjoy these tips for New Year celebrations
What are your weight goals for this holiday season? Many Americans experience weight gain over the holidays and then keep it with them throughout the year. Use the following tips to enjoy the holidays responsibly without wrecking havoc on your weight.
- Plan exercise into your day, especially on days when you will be attending a party and eating things you do not normally eat.
- Remember exercise is cumulative, so two to 15-minute walks is just as good a 30-minute walk.
- Include your family whenever possible, with ideas like family football, walks or Wii/Xbox dances.
- Don’t skip meals before the big celebration or you will arrive too hungry and most likely over eat.
- Survey all the choices before filling up your plate.
- Fill up your plate just once.
- Make sure to add some protein (cheese, lean meats) and veggies and fruits to fill you up.
Beware of liquids containing calories
- Alcohol, coffee drinks, energy drinks and eggnog can provide 300 calories or more per drink so choose no calorie options whenever possible.
Lighten up your food choices whenever possible
- Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream on potatoes and in dips.
- Use sugar substitute instead of sugar in baked goods.
- Use applesauce instead of oil in baked goods.
- Use reduced fat cream cheese or cheese for dips.
- Don’t forget to rest at this busy time of year.
- Sleep deprivation can cause your metabolism to not work properly.
- Rest helps to reduce stress and reinvigorate your body.
I hope these tips allow you to enjoy food responsibly while spending time with family and friends this New Year season.
Betsy Felde RD, LDN
Centegra Weight-Loss Surgery Center