If you have diabetes, here are some healthy eating tips for you:
- Choose high fiber, complex carbohydrates such as brown rice and whole wheat bread to stabilize blood sugars.
- Try replacing ice cream with blended frozen bananas or 1 ounce of dark chocolate.
- Sweeten yogurt and oatmeal yourself using fruit.
- Read the ingredients on the nutrition label to spot hidden sugars such as honey, molasses, dextrose or fructose.
- Eat regular, small meals to stabilize blood sugars.
To learn more, please visit our nutrition and diabetes page.
Source: Analysa Irvin, Graduate Intern from Northern Illinois University